Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Konichiwa Osaka!

After several days in Kyoto, Colleen split from us yesterday and headed home, leaving us once again to Mike's care. :( Without her as our culinary voice of reason, we ended up at a Wendy's. Not too bad -- Kyle was very adventurous, food-wise, at the start of this trip, but after an unfortunate convenience-store dinner of a mystery meat sandwich and meat-flavored Doritos, he's become a bit more particular about what he consumes.

Anyway, Kyoto was a blur of overwhelmingly beautiful shrines, ranging from "Thousand-armed" Buddhas to a seemingly unending procession of orange gates (and spiders that had made their homes in the gates, eep!). One of my favorite stops wasn't  a  shrine  at  all, though  (my  apologies  if  the  font’s  gone  all  wonky  --  I  can’t  figure  out  this cursed  international  keyboard [hopefully this all works now]),  but  a  peace  museum  affiliated  with  a  local  college.  It  was  pretty  interesting  to  see  a  perspective  on  war,  WWII  and  current -day  matters  out  of  the  U.S. 

We  spent  a  good  deal  of  today  in  Nara,  home  to  a  ginormous  wooden  shrine  crammed  with  Japanese schoolchildren  practicing  their  English  by  shouting  "Hello!" at  us  (how annoying  it must  be  to  be,  like,  French, and  have  everyone  assume  you’re  American)  and a  ridiculous  number  of  small  tame  deer.  The  deer  were  super-kawaii,  if more  than  a  bit  pushy  --  we  watched  one  try  to  steal the lunch from a  schoolboy’s  lap.  Later  in  the afternoon,  we boarded  the  train  for  Osaka.  It  was  around then  that  things  started  to  go  wrong,  although I  wouldn’t  realize  it  until  later. Anyway,  I  bought  my train  ticket,  shoved  my  wallet  in  my  pocket  and  then  ran  with  Mike  and  Kyle  to  the  train.  A  20-minute  ride  through  lush,  undulating  scenery  and  we  were  here,  in  Osaka.  We  got  out  of  the  train  station  to  see  two  men  yelling  at  another  man  on  the  ground.  From  what  Mike  could  ascertain,  it  appeared  that  they  were  accusing  him  of  stealing,  and  wanted  to  look  in  his  pockets.  Mike  had  warned  us  our  hotel  was  in  a  grittier  area  than  anything  we’d  seen  so  far (at this point,  even  the  big  cities  have  been  amazingly  clean),  but  even  he  said  he  hadn’t  seen  anything  like  that  here.  Anyhoo,  we  went  to  pay for  our  hotel  room,  and  it  was  there  that  I  discovered  my  wallet  was  missing.  :(

Don’t  freak  out,  Mom  and  Dad  --  I’ve  got  it  under  control.

From  what  I  can  tell,  it  probably  fell  out  when  I  was  running  for  the  train.  It  sucks  to  have  lost  it,  but  all  things  considered,  it’s  not  even  close  to  the  worst  thing  I  could  have  lost. I  had  nowhere  near  as  much  cash  as  I  had  been  carrying  earlier  in  the  trip,  for  one, and  I  would  have  been  way  more  bummed  to  have  lost  my  camera , or  even  my  camera’s  memory  card.  For  now,  Kyle  will  be  my  sugar  daddy,  Colleen’s  canceling  my  ATM  cards,  and  when  I  get  home,  I  will  just  have  to  deal  with  the  annoyance  of  going  to  the  DMV, replacing  the  cards,  etc.  The  most  long-term  impact  will  be  the  loss  of  my  student  ID,  and  I’ve  probably  been  milking  that  particular  discount  long  enough.

So  yeah,  that’s  that.  On  the  rest  of  the  agenda  for  today:  going  to  the  "America" section  of  town  --  "America,"  in  this  case,  standing  for  "youth"  -- and  perhaps  taking  a  nap  under  the  wall-mounted  air-conditioner  (after  a  chilly  start  to  our  trip,  the  last  couple  of  days  have  been  hothothot).  Now  that  I  have  regular  access  to  a  computer  (if  not  a  regular  computer  keyboard) for  a  few  days,  I  will  try  to  post  more  regularly  and  perhaps  add  a  few  more  pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jen, Glad that you have such a positive perspectivee on the wallet & that Colleen is such a great friend. Would you have wrestled the guy, too, had you known at that time that your wallet was missing? Just wondering.