Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Smash my head on the punk rock

Ah, insomnia. How I've missed you, my dear friend. I mean, sure, I've spent many a sleep deprived night, but for me to be awake now -- 1:40 a.m. early Tuesday, after getting up at 4:45 a.m. Monday, after going to bed at 1:30 a.m. Monday -- is quite the trick.

I am so proud.

So yeah, it's been a while. Sorry 'bout that. I sometimes forget that anyone other than me looks at this thing. Not that the last month hasn't been eventful: we traveled to Ithica, NY, for our friends' wedding, a trip that also included an opportunity to visit the Farm Sanctuary (and for me to take a related guilt trip regarding the inconsistencies in the philosophy backing my ovo-lacto-vegetarianism), I took a trip with friends to an alpaca farm in Pataskala, I kicked all of Kyle's kin's asses in a rousing game of miniature golf at Udders & Putters this past weekend (nothing like beating a 7-year-old to make me feel good), I compared my career trajectory to that of my friends and found myself coming up short, I once again thought about that nagging presence of that daggone ex-pal and wished I could, as everyone has begged me, just let it go, for cripe's sake, I stuck my finger up Sollie's butt at least once a day to give him the medicine he needs in lieu of the surgery I can't quite afford (and which will likely remain unattainable for the foreseeable future, given that the powers that be have eliminated in-house freelancing at work), I cleaned house, did laundry, started tennis lessons again, read a book about the modern American wedding industry that led me to feel that any way we choose to celebrate our union will be a massively materialistic event, I did some vanity googling, I reinvigorated my addiction to online Boggle and, thanks to Anne and Clark, developed a new addiction to computer mahjongg. Oh, and tonight, I drank one-third of a bottle of cheap white wine in hopes that it might lead me to sleep. You can see how well that worked.

Yeah.

Oh, and I drank somewhere around eight cups of coffee today. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything, right?

Right.

So, yeah, my apologies to all two of you reading this here thing. My hope is to become less frenzied ... someday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live near not one, but TWO alpaca farms in/near Pataskala. What one did you visit? Was it awesome? Should I go instead of just looking for alpacas as I drive by?

Jaydubs said...

Wow, there's another one? I had no idea. The one we visited is actually owned by my mom's co-worker, and is awesome. They give the alpacas great names like Celestine Moonbeam and such. Love it. Here's their site:

http://www.gentlemeadowsalpacafarm.com/