Thursday, April 10, 2008

Also, I had B.O.

The scene: Monday night, mid-council meeting. I'm waiting for a TV reporter to finish interviewing a city department director, so I can have my turn. He finishes, and it's go-time for your intrepid girl reporter. The director starts by embracing me around my waist. [Side note -- I have had untold numbers of sources, man and woman alike, hug me. Am I being too nice to them? Is it because of my wee stature? Luckily, I don't mind hugs, but still. Weird. Almost as weird as the time I accidentally exchanged a high-five with a school superintendent.] He's standing really close to me, like, leaning in, and I am forced to admit to him that I have dragon breath after sucking down, like, a pot of coffee during the day. Crud. And then at the end, he goes for the handshake, and I have to apologize to him because my hands are covered in cold, slick sweat.

Wow. No wonder people wanna give me a hug. What's not to love about stinky breath and clammy hands?

No comments: