Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Worst witness *evar*

So, I'd left a press conference and was on my way to Target yesterday afternoon, fully immersed in a world of gangsta rap (Thank you, Office Space soundtrack), and waiting for a break in traffic so I could turn left from the street into the store parking lot. And then, as Ice Cube rapped about carjackings, it happened.

A semi was coming the other direction, and was taking a right into the parking lot. And then ... the traffic lights heaved up before sagging down to their earlier position. Holy shit. The semi had hit the pole, and for a second, I wondered if it was all going to come crashing down on me.

It didn't. Yay.

The truck driver hesitated for a second before continuing on to make his delivery to Kroger. I carefully made my left turn into the lot, chatted with a fellow witness, and followed her into Target, where we told a store manager what had happened. Only ... once he confirmed it wasn't a Target truck and that the incident had happened on city property, he really didn't give a damn about the gigantor dent left in the potentially fragile pole. Ooops.

So, yeah, if you are committing a crime, it is totally no problem to have me around. I will never be able to identify you in a lineup and I will wait forever to call the police. You're welcome.

No comments: